Virtual event: Live and available on replay
The Corporate Transaction Forum is a joint event hosted by IR Magazine and Corporate Secretary which exists to bring together corporate development officers, investor relations heads and corporate secretaries to learn about the latest developments in M&A and share best practice on how to increase shareholder value through investment strategy. The current environment has created favorable conditions for some companies to grow (or survive) through corporate M&A activities, and has left other companies more open to the threat of activism.
Due to current restrictions, the event will take place as a virtual experience using our bespoke, cutting-edge technology.
Our virtual event platform closely replicates attending in-person by facilitating interaction with speakers, one-to-one networking with fellow IR and governance professionals, and group roundtable discussions. Going virtual helps you connect with a wider network from the comfort of your desk.
NIRI IRC® CREDENTIAL
Holders of the NIRI IRC® credential can earn up to 4 professional development units (PDUs) per day. IRC-credentialed speakers may also earn PDUs. More information is available at www.niri.org/certification.
Our purpose is to connect strategy, finance and legal professionals at listed companies to learn how best to
increase shareholder value and grow through corporate transactions. Join us to discover the latest trends and
developments in corporate M&A and hear advice on protecting yourself against the threat of activism in
Watch this quick video to understand what the Corporate Transaction Forum 2021 is all about, and what will be discussed:
Focusing on both trends impacting M&A and activism and best practices from all stages of the deal cycle there’s something for everyone across all these sessions – view the agenda as a pdf by clicking here. All times below are in ET
Welcome to the corporate transaction forum!
M&A and activism outlook: Trends in corporate transactions
Prepare yourself for emerging activist threats and keep your finger on the pulse as we explore the major trends impacting corporate transactions.
• Covid’s impact: Will M&A activity gain momentum in 2021?
• Learn which sectors provide the most opportunities for strategic consolidations
• Debate whether activism will return to pre-2020 levels and in what form it will manifest
• Discover emerging opportunities to drive growth through strategic M&A activities
• Hear whether we expect an increase in cross-border M&A and understand the associated risks
M&A and activism outlook: The impact of policy and regulation
The new Biden administration and Democratic-led Congress are seeking to bring a wave of changes to policies and regulations that will have direct and indirect implications for M&A and activism.
• Understand what type of regulations could impact M&A activity
• How might regulatory changes at the SEC affect the ability for activists to bring proxy battles or proposals to bring about corporate change?
• Learn how regulations could create opportunities and challenges for issuers
• What is the outlook for antitrust policy under the new administration?
• Discuss what impact the SEC’s adoption of amendments to the financial disclosure requirements for business acquisitions and dispositions will have on M&A activity
Research insights: What’s next for activism?
Corporate management teams face a very different operating environment from the one that prevailed in 2020, which saw a reduction in activist activity as a result of the economic disruption, leading market participants to delay proxy campaign plans. As markets recover and activist investors seek possible targets again, will ESG play a heightened role in their tactics?
• Learn how to identify activist threats earlier and respond when an activist investor is at your door
• Understand how the rise of social justice, racial equality, climate change, and other ESG issues will increasingly find their way into the tactics used by activist shareholders
• Discuss how to identify and survive bet-the-company situations
NEW: Speaker lounge
Speaker lounge: Join our panelists for an informal follow-up conversation about these critical issues in the lounge. Get your questions answered, share your views, catch up with old friends, introduce yourself to new connections and get some face-time in!
How strategy, finance, and legal can better align to deliver shareholder value
Strategic fit, shareholder support, and legal approval are vital aspects of any deal. In this session, we discuss how IR, corporate development and governance can add value to a corporate transaction. We also debate the pros and cons of having investor relations officers, corporate secretaries and general counsel involved earlier in the deal-making process.
• Debate whether IR and governance need to be involved earlier in the deal-making process and learn how to add value to strategy and corporate development teams
• Explore how different appetites for risk and transparency between strategy, legal and finance professionals can impact deal-making
• Corporate transactions and activism are key career milestones. Learn how to navigate this intense period of work to enhance your career
Meet the attendees: Match with other attendees for a short, fun introduction using our virtual networking tool: it’s as easy as 1-2-3.
1. Visit the networking area and click connect
2. Get randomly matched with another attendee for a three-minute introduction
3. Exchange contact information or move on to the next attendee: it’s up to you!
Pre-deal best practices: Emerging trends and best practices in strategy formulation and target identification
Pre-deal best practices: Emerging trends and best practices in strategy formulation and target identification
Learn what IR, Governance and M&A professionals can do to ensure success through strategy formulation and target identification.
• Has the past year made companies more aware of tail risks when considering acquisition targets?
• Learn about red flags and synergies when searching for potential targets
• Debate the rising importance of human capital considerations in target selection
Deal phase best practices: Build support for your transaction through strategic communications in the lead-up to your shareholder vote
Communicating the deal and building consensus with your shareholder base is critical to M&A success. Focusing on the critical time leading up to a shareholder vote, we explore the cornerstones of a successful M&A communications strategy and the governance considerations.
• Top tips for announcing your M&A deal and best practices for filings
• Discover how to best articulate the strategic fit of your transaction through your messaging to analysts and portfolio managers
• Understand whether remote deal-making is likely to continue when Covid-19 restrictions are lifted and learn remote engagement best practices
• Prepare for changes in your shareholder base and learn how to deal with increased short interest in the run-up to a deal
Deal phase best practices: Effective due diligence and navigating the proxy process
Understand the legal and filing considerations around corporate transactions.
• Share board management practices in the run-up to a merger or acquisition
• Learn about the compliance consideration related to activist situations
• Discover how to build an efficient due diligence process in the lead-up to a deal
• Understand how to deal with activist directors who have an M&A agenda
Post-deal best practices: Deliver shareholder value and redefine who you are as a new company
Understand the challenges that occur following a deal, learn how to build trust with shareholders by ensuring the implementation maximizes the value-add intended by the transaction, and discover how to move forward with new shareholders and a new board.
• Learn how to understand your new shareholder base following a transaction and how it will impact your investor communications and strategy moving forward
• Discuss how to preserve a company’s value during integration from the word go
• Discover how to adapt to changes in board composition following a merger or acquisition
Closing keynote: How the influx of retail investors creates new challenges for deals
When retail shareholders vote, they tend to support the company – but the voter turnout for these shareholders is often low. Technology platforms, the pandemic and social media have created the rise of retail. We examine this trend’s impact on special purpose acquisition companies (Spacs), AGMs, activism and M&A.
• Understand how the democratization of investing and the recent rise of day-traders can change M&A
• Hear best practices on increasing retail shareholder votes over time
• Learn how activists leverage retail shareholders and the communication methods companies can use to build support
• What is the relationship between the rise of retail investors and the rise of Spacs?
Summary of discussions and end of the conference
We will hear from senior stakeholders from Corporate Development, Legal and Finance to share their perspectives and experiences about how to build consensus with shareholders for a successful deal or how to protect shareholders from an activist campaign. If you are interested in speaking at the event please email [email protected]
Why partner with us?
The Corporate Transaction Forum 2021 brings together some of the most influential people from legal, finance and corporate development at public companies.
The event offers an effective approach to targeting clients at a time when they need it the most.
Through our unrivalled knowledge of the subject matter and commitment to in-depth agenda research, our events are guaranteed to attract a qualified audience.
The unique buzz we create at our virtual events – a far cry from a webinar – makes them multi-faceted and highly interactive with great engagement in particular from corporate secretaries and heads of investor relations. This allows our partners to have meaningful conversations with corporate stakeholders across legal, governance and corporate development.
By partnering with us on an event, you can generate leads, showcase your thought leadership and position yourselves as the partner of choice to our community.
We’d love to have a chat with you about how you can get in front of a truly engaged and motivated audience at the Corporate Transaction Forum 2021 – get in touch with Ian Richman or call on +1 212 430 6865.
In the last 12 months, IR Magazine and Corporate Secretary’s virtual events have attracted the highest, most diverse and senior attendees and experts in investor relations and governance
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions, and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security. AIG common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Additional information about AIG can be found at www.aig.com.
Innisfree provides sound advice and results-oriented implementation in domestic and cross border proxy solicitations, tender/exchange offers, mergers and other corporate actions, as well as consulting services on strategic management issues, including corporate governance and investor relations.
For more information, please visit www.innisfreema.com
Morrow Sodali is the leading global consultancy specializing in shareholder services, corporate governance, proxy solicitation and capital markets transactions. The firm provides corporate boards and executives with strategic advice and services relating to a broad range of activities, including: mergers and acquisitions, annual general and extraordinary shareholder meetings, dissident and contested campaigns, shareholder activist initiatives and multinational cross-border equity and debt transactions.
From headquarters in New York and London and nine offices in major capital markets, Morrow Sodali serves more than 700 corporate clients in 40 countries, including many of the world’s largest multinational corporations. In addition to listed and private companies, its clients include mutual funds, stock exchanges, membership associations and activist investors.
For more information, visit morrowsodali.com
Founded in 1969, NIRI is the professional association of corporate officers and investor relations consultants responsible for communication among corporate management, shareholders, securities analysts and other financial community constituents. NIRI is the largest professional investor relations association in the world with more than 3,300 members representing over 1,600 publicly held companies and $9 trillion in stock market capitalization.
For more information, please visit www.NIRI.org
The super early bird rate expires on April 23, 2021.
The standard booking price is $145 so register today and benefit from your $100 saving.
If you have any questions, please contact Chloë Rutter at [email protected] or +44 20 3002 0396.